Curious about RTM...?

Not a problem, it is really hard without the book. You have the food lists, but there is also a lot of blurb that goes along with it.

Don't forget you can cook all your fruit and veg from this week, so the week 4 stuff might not sound nice raw, but being able to cook it now opens things up a lot.

Stir frys using stock to fry. You can steam veg to go with your protien meal, or have something like, 1 scrambled egg, rasher lean bacon, 'fried' mushrooms, grilled tomato. Stuffed aubergines, tomatoes peppers or mushrooms. The korma recipe from week 4 is lovely, and very nice served in a portobello mushroom.

You should have 1 protein meal, 1 snack of up to 250g veg, so you could have that as a salad or stir fry for lunch. 2 foodpacks and 3L water. You can have fruit, yoghurt and jelly whenever. There is no limit to jelly, my LLC says 2-3 yoghurt (200-300g) and 3 fruit.

Your fruit and veg can be fresh, frozen, canned or bottled, but make sure it is canned in water only, not sugar or syrup.

You can have any low cal drinks now, including squash or fizzy diet drinks.

At week 4 you should be having around 900 cals per day. You need to try and up it a little each week so your metabolism can increase gradually. It is worth keeping a check on it as I found I was eating a lot less than I should have been. I use a great cal counter website Food Focus - Permanent Weight Loss but there are a lot out there that do similar. I found this one has a very good food database.

I would say the tuna/cottage cheese is fine.
As for the yoghurt, it is really up to you, if you would rather have the extra fruit, then don't have 2 whole yoghurts a day, maybe have 1.5, but check out your cal intake as well and see how you are doing.

You can have any fruit juice as long as it is from your fruit list and doesn't have added sugar. There are more fruits added in week 6.
Orange I find very good for constipation, there is 150ml per 1 fruit serving.

Just shout if you have any more Qs.

Thanks Ali, really gr8 help, im going to buy some robinsons sugar free orange squash today then, that would be ok then right?

Will come back to you with more questions tomorrow, thanks sooooooo much, your a star! :)

Does the low cal/diet drinks allowed in week 2 include Pepsi Max and diet lemonade and those type of drinks or something else???????

any diet/no added sugar drinks
that includes fizzy like pepsi max, diet coke, fanta etc.
I never liked coke, and never touched diet drinks before, but I now have a thing about diet ginger beer!

From a health point of view fizzy drinks are usually full of colourings and nasty chemicals so should be limited. I think they usually say the equivalent of one can per day.
You are also not allowed to include it in your water allowance, unlike fruit juice and squash.
But, yes, you can have a pepsi max and enjoy it, especially in this weather!

I'm glad you said that, as I had a glass - have to say I totally forgot what it tasted like, and was gorgeous.

Have also tried SF jelly with 0% Total Greek Yoguht (which the local Tesco Extra doesn't stock, but the small ASDA over the road does!) and have to say it is fantastic - my new favourite dessert I think.

I still have jelly & yog nearly every day.
I love it!
It is a perfect v. low cal pudd.

I am now in development but our group are always asking what happens in RTM but our counsellor never tells us she says until we've done development we should not get confused with RTM but i think it's just to a way to get more money out of us, we have the meetings once a week but have never had any one to one counselling. So this is great to actually find out what it involves.

I am now in development but our group are always asking what happens in RTM but our counsellor never tells us she says until we've done development we should not get confused with RTM but i think it's just to a way to get more money out of us, we have the meetings once a week but have never had any one to one counselling. So this is great to actually find out what it involves.

Why would her not wanting to muddle up the work in Foundation with the work in Development make it possible for them to get more money out of us?? Sorry, that doesn't make sense?

Also, no one gets one to one counseling. Thats not what the program offers and never claimed to as far as I am aware. One to one counseling would be far more expensive then £66 a week consdiering thats your weekly shop included!!

Hi peeps - sorry for butting in, but what a great thread!! Some great information here!! Thanks for getting it stickied - it will come in handy for lots of people!

I am still a couple of months away from RTM, but its helpful to kind of see what lies ahead, and it looks pretty good!!

Now, I just have a question - these lists of foods we are allowed - what are the restrictions, just out of idle curiosity? Do you choose say, one or two from each list per day? Is it unlimited amounts? Its a bit confusing. And I am just curious. :)

You all are doing so well, and Ali - what a great source you are for SLims....this is such a fantastic network. :) :)

I reckon I am 2 - 2.5 months away from RTM. Maybe sooner if my body cooperates!! So looking forward to it!! And hope you lot will still be here hanging round as you are the experts!

Hi BL - unlimited SF Jelly - but pretty much everything else should be measured. Just before you start RtM, your LLC should be giving you recipe books and exercise books etc that give you the full list of foods to have during that week.

This really is the hardest part of the diet, and it is way too easy to slip back into old habits (as I have found). The best bit of advice I could give to anyone about to embark on RtM is maintain your normal routine. I have had two weeks off at home on my own - boredom sets in and I for one eat when I am bored - it has cost me 4lb! Had I have maintained a normal routine, I would probably have had that gain as a loss!

Hi BL
You are doing fab, you will be here in no time at all.

Each week you get a list of food you are allowed and instructions on when you can eat it.
Week 1 days 1 + 2 you are allowed one serving of protein only for one meal. So one salmon fillet on its own, not even herbs.
day 3 you can then add a salad made up of anything on the list and this should be limited to one cereal bowls worth. This is one meal per day. You can also add herbs and up to half a pint of skimmed milk to add to tea or coffee.
That's the general idea, but you get a book with food lists and pretty much everything you need to know, plus a recipe book which is limited but some good recipes, we have started a list of recipes on here too.

Sugar free jelly, natural fat free yoghurt and diet drinks from week 2 makes things a bit more interesting, adding fruit in week 3 and being able to cook veg in week 4, after that it feels a lot more like normality is coming back, it goes like a flash though.

I have found managing day to day is fine, and eating out too, it is just holidays that are tricky, I am going away in 4.5 weeks and I have started to cut back to lose a bit before I go. The last couple of trips away I have had I put on a few pounds and it is hard to deal with emotionally (for me).

Portion sizes confuse me as well, I'm having waaaaaay too much salad I think :confused:

We're deliberately using dessert plates cos they're smaller and will make it look like there is more in them.

They want you to learn to control your own portion sizes and listen to your body, which is harder than it sounds!

I'm constantly stopping, thinking 'am I still hungry? Is this psychological hunger?' but never being sure. It's tough!

I find the books really vague too. Next week we're allowed fruit, but it doesn't say how much, how often. Is it as well as our 225g snack or instead of? :confused:

I don't know how much yoghurt we're allowed either :sigh: I asked my LLC and she said 'one of the small pots' which is fine, but they all have different amounts in!

Plus she advised me to have some carrot sticks or something as a snack, I'm in week 2, cant have carrots for another 3 weeks! I'm slightly concerned she didn't know that :eek:

I'll see how I do at WI in this week I think!

Hi TG
If you log in to the management area there is a servings guide which is really good.

Fruit you should have no more than 3 servings per day (a serving is 1 apple or 2 plums or a pear, the guide lists a lot more).
Yoghurt, 1 small pot per servings and not more than about 300g per day.
Fruit is as well as your 225g of veg snack.
You are basically adding more cals each week.
roughly 100 per week until you get to week 8 then about 150 per week until you get to around 2000 at week 12.

If you have any questions just ask.

These are the fruit and protein ones

Protein
Includes meat, fish, eggs, beans, pulses and other non-dairy sources of protein. Trim the fat from meat and poultry and look out for lean meats such as extra-lean beef mince and skinless chicken. Follow the advice of your GP or health-care professional on whether you need to restrict your egg intake.

Lean beef, pork, lamb, chicken (skinless) or oily fish 50-75g (2-3oz) cooked, 100-125g (4-5oz) raw
Cooked white fish/shellfish 150g (6oz)
Eggs (whole) 2
Soya, Quorn, tofu 100g (4oz)
Baked beans, reduced sugar/salt 1 small/ ½ large can
Cooked beans, chickpeas, lentils 4 rounded tbsp
Hummus (reduced fat) 2 rounded tbsp
Nuts, nut butters, seeds, tahini 2 level tbsp
Quick tip: two eggs for breakfast counts as one protein serving.

Fruit

Each of these is one serving
Canned*/stewed fruit 3 heaped tbsp
Dried apricots/dates 3
Grapefruit ½
Medium fruit eg apple, banana, orange, pear 1
Melon 1 medium slice
Pure fruit juice 1 small glass (150ml) Raisins, sultanas 1 heaped tbsp
Raspberries 2 handfuls
Small fruits eg plums, satsumas 2
Strawberries 7 medium

Great list, thanks for sharing!! I was also curious about how to gradually reintroduce food bak into my life. However I'm on the Cambridge Diet, do the same steps/rules apply or is it a totally different system?

Back