Jim's lazy Atkins diary

Morning all,

It's Olivias first day at school today, where have the years gone

Where indeed Jim - she's bright, she'll love it x

Morning all,

I'm keeping out of the way, we're off to Crete tomorrow and *SHE* is in a packing frenzy :(

Ha ha..... Enjoy Jime - friends of ours from Cornwall came back from Crete yesterday via Bristol - they love it there x

Have a fab time Jim:)

Morning all, we had a fabulous time in Crete, gorgeous weather, beautiful beaches, food was out of this world. Then we flew home to a nightmare, this last week my Mum has been to A&E twice, had 2 doctors visits and they still can't find out why she keeps falling. I'm at my wits end and seem to be going round in circles trying to get some resolution on this. The last Dr suggested we put her in a home and she be confined to bed.

Hope they find out whats going on soon Jim. Although my aunt is having the same problem. Shes reached the stage that shes scared to walk anywhere unless im there for her to hold on to.

Morning all,

The thing is Jo, because my Mum has both Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers she doesn't remember she's having these "falling problems" She's booked in for a full body scan tomorrow so hopefully that comes up with something.

Thanks abz love, how's izzy liking school?

Morning all,

well it was a bit of a nightmare but we finally got the scan done and mum home, I think the staff took pity on me and bumped her up the queue. Results will be with her dr in a week

It may sound odd Jim but have they checked all the simple things like ears which affect balance, electrolytes imbalance - quite common in the elderly. Electrolite imbalance is to do with the body salts etc and can be affected by dehydration among other things. It is relatively simple to test for but often overlooked. Ask the question as it wouldn't do any harm to rule it out. Good luck xxx

Morning all,

Gem, thanks for that it'll give me some questions to ask when i see her Dr on Monday. I do know they took about three blood tests so maybe they have checked for that. the consensus at the moment seems to be severe dehydration leading to a urine infection and also a chest infection. She is looking and acting a lot better.

It amazes me how low priority they all put on making sure elderly people drink enough and the awful results of dehydration. Can any of them join up the dots? Glad things are looking better Jim x

Morning all,

Thanks Jo

I think the problem is Gem that i visit most days and make sure she gets plenty of cranberry juice down, i can't really blame the carer's in a way because I know if you're not there to constantly remind her to drink she won't do it. The way the system works they don't have time to sit and keep egging her on to drink. she'll also just throw her drink away down the sink if you don't prevent her. Anyway, it's a phone call to the surgery for me today to find out the scan results.

Maybe a meeting is due with carers, SS etc present where you air your views and tell them the facts - give them your concerns that she needs coaxing to drink or it has a detrimental effect on her health. Get it documented, perhaps with a new care plan that you have a copy of and let them know that whether or not you are around, she needs to be seen to drink or she will become dehydrated. I know some elderly people who are on medication limit their liquid intake for fear of toilet accidents and others (like my mum) completely forget to drink and swear they have. If they don't have time to make sure she drinks maybe the time needs to be increased to maintain health. Hope it is all sorted out properly Jim x

Morning all,

well I've had interesting news, something on the scan alerted them to a problem and they went back to her chest x-rays, it turns out she may have had pneumonia, there is shadowing on the lungs and she's never been a smoker. The carer's have now been alerted to the fluids problem and have been told they must make sure she consumes 1 full glass of liquid during their visit, with me going over that'll be enough and when we are away on holiday we are going to pay for an extra 4th visit in the evening gem. I've also arranged for a monthly health visit by the district nurse gem. So maybe things are looking up.

Great planning there Jim and also shows that your tenacity has paid off. Just imagine the problems that others must have who don't have such great support from their families. It's such a shame that the carers just don't have enough time to spend with each person but I guess the agencies are running a business so that puts a restriction on it.

Morning all, just back from my annual falklands war reunion and feeling just a tad hungover and rough. LOL

We're lucky with mum's carers Lisa, they are not bad at all, but yes, the real problem is how little time they're alloted to each visit.

Back