Too good to be "legal"!! **RECIPES**

Hi,

I tried this yesterday and it was surprisingly good!!!

One regular apple (mine happened to be a Braeburn), peeled, halved, and sliced lengthways

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

100ml to 125ml of pure 100% Apple juice

1 tablespoon of granulated sweetener (or however less/much you like)

Put the apple juice and sliced apples into a small pot/frying pan, and bring to a simmer. Add the cinnamon and the sweetener and mix well to coat.

leave to simmer until the apples start becoming soft and cooked (roughly for 5 mins).

Increase the heat in order to reduce the apple juice to a syrupy consistency (roughly another 5 mins).

The apples will be nice and soft, and covered with a lovely, cinnamon syrup.

Serve with a dollop of yoghurt/fromage frais etc.

Yummy :)

Pumpkin Oat Bars - low fat

Here is a link to another recipe I have just tried.

The original recipe called for vegetable oil, which I have substitute pureed apples for instead. Sugar can be replaced with SPlenda - I used sugar. I was out of Orange Juice so used APple Mango and it was really nice so you could use lots of variations. They will freeze nicely and if wrapped individually would be a great grab-n-go healthy snack.

Hope you like them. :)

Pumpkin Oat Bars Recipe

TOFU MAYONAISE

1 12 oz box silken Tofu (must be silken <soft> tofu as will not work with firm)
2 tsp Sesame Oil (or Olive, or not at all)
1/2 tsp dry mustard (or more if you like - I do)
2 Tblsp rice or apple cider vinegar
2 tsp Soy Sauce (I oftne omit this)
Salt to taste

Blend it all ina food processor. If you have an attachment with the smaller bowl I think it works better. Just whip it untill completely smooth and gorgeous.

Use it as your imagination allows you.

BL, just been re reading your recipes on here, omg they sound amazing!! Cannot wait to try them all. Have you got any other RTM recipe gems?

Jez
xx

I will put my thinking cap on! I just posted a soup recipe on our foodie thread - its all allowable stuff for you in a pretty short time, if not already - and its FAB!!!! Will think of some others that have been lifesavers! :)

xx

Been making my wya through your journal - good work madam!!

xx

So good to hear from ya hunny :) Loving the food thing, will have to post tonights meal up on here because it was awesome!!! Or maybe my tastebuds have been starved too long.

When is the tofu mayo allowable and when are gherkins allowed?

Jez
xx

So good to hear from ya hunny :) Loving the food thing, will have to post tonights meal up on here because it was awesome!!! Or maybe my tastebuds have been starved too long.

When is the tofu mayo allowable and when are gherkins allowed?

Jez
xx

I think pretty early on - you can have tofu as soon as you can have protein, and the only other thing I would think to be sure of is when you can have oil.

This stuff is a lifesaver for me - all sorts can be done with it! Egg mayonaise, potato salad, cole slaw, rose marie sauce, etc., and its virtually no fat.

It is SO much nice then fat free mayonaise. :)

SPicy Turkey CHili stuffed Bell Peppers

I made a turkey chili with:

ground turkey
lots of minced garlic
minced green chili with seeds and membrane for heat
onion
fresh corn
tinned tomatos
kidney beans
lots of chili powder
fair bit of cumin
s&p
Smoked Paprika

Then, cooked some brown rice.

Boiled whole bell peppers (tops and seeds removed) 3 minutes.

Stuffed with turkey chilli mixed with some rice and some shredded chedder

Baked

Voila.

Served with baked sweet potato "chips"
Yummmmmy. :D

I didn;t put measurements as you will know what to do. ;)

Also, lately been making a Curried Veggie Lentil stew

Cauliflour
Cabbage
Onion
Garlic
Chili flakes
Yellow Peppers
Green beans
Tinned Tomatos
ANy colour lentils
Lots of curry and garam masala

Simmer till tender

Served topped with plain yogurt (and some of my apple chutney - but that will have to wait ;))

Love the avatar pic Jez. You look great and coming in under goal too.
You must feel fabulous.

Supper tonight - Butternut squash soup cooked in the slow cooker with curry, garlic, fresh ginger, celery, a tin of tomatoes, a bit of Marigold, red lentils and the grated rind and juice of an orange.
Lovely whizzed up, a tin of mixed beans strirred in.
It'll last me 3 days.Each bowl with a dollop of fat free greek yougurt on top.

very quick and easy recipe to try

Spicy Curry Veg with Red Lentils and Portobella Mushrooms
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
½ red chili, chopped fine, leaving in seeds and membrane (remove it too spicy!)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T Groundnut oil
3 Portobello mushrooms, halved and then sliced
1 yellow onion, coarse chop
2 stalks celery, chunky slices
½ head cauliflower, cut into large chunks
¼ head broccoli, cut into chunks
½ EACH Red, Yellow, Green bell peppers, cut into large chunks
2 carrots cut into large chunks
2 small sweet potato (yams) – peeled and sliced ½ wide
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin chick peas
¾ cup red lentils
½ cup water
Handful of dried currents
1 T heaped, Garam Malasa
1 T heaped, Hot Curry
1 T heaped Essence Spice
1 tsp Smoked Paprika.
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tin Low Fat Coconut Milk

In wok, heat oil till smoking, quickly stir in ginger, chili and garlic for a moment or two. Add mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes, and then add onions. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Add ingredients, one at a time, giving a good toss in between. Add tinned tomatoes, chick peas, water and spices and thyme. Give a good stir, and transfer to a casserole. Cook on low heat for an hour or two – about 150c – depending how long it takes for veg to cook.
Stir in can of Coconut Milk, and return to oven for 30 minutes.
Remove thyme sprigs and serve with dollop of plain yogurt and chutney, if desired.
Makes a HUGE batch – some can be frozen for another day. Can be served cold in pita bread, or pureed with broth to make soup – can be made into wrpas with rocket and crunchy lettuce, cucumber and chutney, etc. It has become a staple in my kitchen. Any other veg can be used as well. It’s a good “kitchen sink dish. J
Low fat, no salt, very filling – what more could you want!? J

Had a real sweet tooth tonight...so made the following pud - it was lush!

Greek Yogurt mixed with a Cadburys Light Dark Chocolat hot drink mix POWDER- set aside in the fridge for about 30 minutes and then whip-stirred it really well.

Dumped a bowl of nearly defrosted frozen winter fruits (raspberrys, blackberries, cherries and currants), but still slightly frozen, sprinkled with SPlenda to taste - also set aside while defrosting to make juicy

topped with low fat homemade granola.

YUMMMMMM :D

Here is a nice spin on a couscous salad that is RTM friendly once you can have couscous!

FruitsCous Salad

Couscous
2 Satsumas, peeled, cut in half across the sections, then broken apart
2 Kiwi, peeled, halved and sliced
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1/3 red onion, slices thin
1 stalk celery sliced thin
Fresh parsley and coriander
Toasted Pecans -small handfull, broken in bits (make sure OK in your stage of RTM, or leave out)

Dressing:

Greek Yogurt
Lime zest and juice of 1 lime
2-3 tsp honey
1 chunk pickled ginger, chopped fine
1 tsp syrup from ginger
Chili Powder to taste.

Serve with Avocado on bed of Rocket and mixed greens.

(measurements are guestimates - I don't measure. I just cook. lol)

Last edited:
I am such a plonker - totally missed this recipe thread! lol <blind ole bat>

Will post all here in future!

Kat xx

[FONT=&quot]Creamy fish[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]75g (3oz) haddock[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]25g (1oz) fat free fromage frais[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Parsley, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1⁄[/FONT][FONT=&quot]8 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]tsp turmeric[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lettuce leaves i.e. iceberg, romane or cos[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Method:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skin the haddock and poach gently in a splash of water for ten minutes or until cooked, then remove from the pan, flake the flesh and remove any bones. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mix with the fromage frais, turmeric and parsley, then spoon into the lettuce leave and serve.[/FONT]

Alternatively, see week 9 recipes to have as LL recommend as crepe filling ;)
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Smoked Trout Pate

SmokedTroutPate.jpg

Serves 4

Ingredients:

225g (8oz) smoked trout fillet
125g (4 1/2oz) Yeo Valley Organic Fat Free Natural Yogurt
1 tsp lemon rind grated (week 3)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp freshly chopped dill
Freshly ground black pepper

A wonderfully tasty, healthy pate, rich in essential omega 3 fats yet low in saturated fat and calories. This is perfect for lunches, as a dip with vegetable sticks and elegant enough for buffets and parties.

Instructions
:

Place the trout in a food processor with the yogurt, lemon rind and juice. Blend until well mixed but make sure the trout still retains some of its texture. Add the chopped dill and lightly pulse to combine. Season with black pepper.

Place into pots or ramekins and chill well before serving.

Variations:

You can use smoked mackerel for a cheaper option which is equally rich in essential fats. For additional flavour and colour try blending in a little roasted red pepper or a few sundried tomatoes.

Nutritional Information:

Per serving: calories 98kcal, carbohydrates 2.9g, total sugars 0.1g, protein 16.2g, total fats 2.6g, saturated fat 0.5g, fibre 0g, sodium 1g, calcium 64mg

Per 100g: calories 107kcal, carbohydrates 3.1g, total sugars 0.1g, protein 17.6g, total fats 2.8g, saturated fats 0.5g, fibre 0g, sodium 1.1g, calcium 70mg

Spicy Prawns With Apple And Mint Yogurt Chutney

SpicyPrawnsWithAppleAndMintYogurtChutney.jpg

Serves 4

Ingredients:

450g (16oz) large raw prawns, peeled and de-veined
100g (4oz) Yeo Valley Fat Free Natural Yogurt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Metal or wooden skewers

Apple and Mint Chutney

300g (10 1/2oz) Yeo Valley Organic Fat Free Natural Yogurt
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp finely chopped root ginger
2 tbsp finely chopped mint
1 eating apple - peeled, cored and finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seed
little lemon juice to taste

Instructions:

Mix together the prawns with the rest of the ingredients, except the fresh coriander leaves. Cover, chill and marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
Thread the prawns onto skwers and place under the grill. Grill until golden brown (about 5 minutes) turning during cooking to ensure they are brown all over.

Sprinkle over the fresh coriander leaves and serve with the apple and mint chutney.

Quick Tip:

If using wooden skewers, soak them for 30 minutes in cold water to prevent them burning during cooking.

Apple and Mint Chutney:

Whisk together all the ingredients except the mustard seeds. Place the mustard seeds in a non stick frying pan and saute until the mustard seeds start to sizzle and pop.
Add to the yogurt mixture and mix well.

Cover and chill until required. This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Nutritional Information for Spicy Prawns:

Per serving: calories 102kcal, carbohydrates 2.6g, total sugars 0.1g, protein 21.4g, total fats 0.8g, saturated fat 0.1g, fibre 0g, sodium 0.21g, calcium 133mg
Per 100g: calories 70kcal, carbohydrates 1.7g, total sugars 0.1g, protein 14.6g, total fats 0.5g, saturated fats 0.1g, fibre 0g, sodium 0.14g, calcium 91mg

Nutritional Information for Apple and Mint Chutney:

Per serving:

calories 52kcal, carbohydrates 8.8g, total sugars 2g, protein 4.6g, total fats 0.2g, saturated fat 0g, fibre 0.3g, sodium 0.19g, calcium 126mg

Per 100g:

calories 55kcal, carbohydrates 9.4g, total sugars 2.1g, protein 5g, total fats 0.3g, saturated fats 0g, fibre 0.3g, sodium 0.211g, calcium 135mg

Back