KDs Earlier Maintenance Diary

yeah c'mon what happened next! :D

Dear Aunti Cani.

Glad you asked, cos this one is playing on my mind.

Okay, so The Cousins didn't get past the door, and I flaked out on the sofa for about 5 minutes.

Then I get another visitor. I never get visitors when the house is tidy:confused:

This one is a music student of mine, so it doesn't really matter. Isn't that always the way :mad:

Anyway...I had a concert to go to in the evening. It's a Big Band run by a friend and a few of my students play in it. This particular student had a message for me.

Could I please get there early? Okay...no problem...guess they need help setting up..but no. Mrs Big Band leader needs to talk to me:eek:

So I turn up early and report to Mrs Big Band leader. She tells me that Anna hasn't turned up and she's short of a '1st flute' player. Could I stand in? Ummm. I actually don't own a flute which is a major drawback. I envisage myself lying on my side and whistling :cool: Ohh...just the thought of laying down:rolleyes:

No. Unfortunately, they will lend me a flute. Okay, I can actually play one and I know the music (cos I wrote it :D), but that's not the point. I had never actually tried playing the part, and sometimes I can be a little over ambitious with my arrangements :D

Anyway...I agree. I'll blow quietly...nobody will notice. She says something else, which I don't catch. "blah blah blah...is that okay?"

"Yeah...that's fine". Why did I say that:confused:

So there am I, suddenly a member of the rather professional Big Band, pretending that I know what I'm doing.

Anna is an excellent flautist. Her part is hard, but fortunately the trombones are behind me...who's to know what I'm playing:D

Just then I see on the score "Anna...solo part" :eek::eek::eek:

The conductor is waving her baton at me threateningly. The music grinds to a halt and about 300 faces glare at me from the audience.

Ohhh....oh....ohhhh....
[STRIKE]shhhhiii.[/STRIKE]bother!

I'm told that I did it:confused: Personally, I have no idea what I played..but it was rather a nice little tune. Merrily We Roll Along rings a bell :D

OMG, I bet you nearly keeled over in shock lol!!!!!!!!!!!

I reckon you was ace, they wouldnt have asked you otherwise ;)

Teehee. I can laugh now when I look back on it. At the time I just thought "oh well...nothing else can possibly go wrong today".

Never played in a big band before and will probably be never asked to again;)

And the end someone came up to me and said "I didn't know you played the flute".

Ummm. I don't. I'm a pianist ;)

Aw, well done for doing it!!!!

Fun tonight though.

I brought the 'duvets' in and placed them in the corner of the room. I've even removed a couple of things and put them back where they belong! :D

The process of replacing stuff is taking a long time as I kind of like this minamilistic look, but nobody can find anything so it'll have to go back.

Meanwhile, the duvet bulges in the corner.

Today youngest son had a friend around and I heard this conversation.

Friend: Wow...someone is getting a lot of Chrissie pressies (pointing to the bulging sack)
Son (with dead straight face): Yeah...it's an idea Mum got off the Amercian forums. You fill up the bags with all your precious possessions and everyone does a lucky dip each day for a week leading up to Christmas Day. All the rage over there. You're welcome to help yourself to one.....

I don't think I've moved so fast in my life to protect my sack :D

Lol Karion,
you tell such great stories - luv em :D

Well done to you too, for playing in the band, and a solo too - wow you never know they may find you a permanant place in the band!!! :p

Funny thread writer
I.T guru and clever at all things techy
Pianist
Composer
Patience of a Saint (which you must have if you're a teacher)
And now Flautist as well

Is there no end to this woman's talents??????

What would we do without you Karion to brighten our days?

Funny thread writer
I.T guru and clever at all things techy
Pianist
Composer
Patience of a Saint (which you must have if you're a teacher)
And now Flautist as well

Is there no end to this woman's talents??????

What would we do without you Karion to brighten our days?

B****y shame I keep forgetting my address though :D

You, me & Mary Poppins - practically perfect in every way, there has to be some room for error after all. ;)

Had a bit of a shock this morning. A double shock in fact.

1. My niece. I have only seen her once (when she was a baby). She is now 24. Each year I send her a birthday and Christmas card. I used to send presents, but stopped that when she was about 10 as I heard through the grapevine that her mother had divorced my brother and she was no longer living there and as I never received notification of them receiving these presents, I guessed that perhaps they were going astray.

I carried on sending the cards though, but never heard anything back.

Today I received a card from her with her email address saying she'd like to get in contact with me.

Truth be known. I'm scared. I will contact her after Christmas though.

2. This is such a coincidence. A friend from my school days, who I stayed good friends with until my early 20's, has also contacted me and asked if we can meet.

She is fresh out of prison, done all the drugs rehab and would like to be friends again. We never fell out of anything, and we've always done the annual Christmas card without details of what we are up to. Just new addresses (her's generally new prison addresses;()

We were very good friends in my former life. We both led each other astray and it seems that I dug myself out long ago, and she didn't.

We really have nothing in common any more.

I cut myself off from everything in my former life. Concerned about facing it head on again.

There again, we could probably have a laugh retelling old memories. Ummm. Needs thinking about.

It does need thinking about. I'm having visions of those two girls in Coronation Street. :D

Seriously, it doesn't need thought. I do think you should see what is happening with yout niece. Your friend? Hhmmm... the jury's out on this one. It's hard meeting up with a friend when you have nothing in common any more. However you continued to be there for her, with brithday and Christmas cards. May be she needs a good friend now?

Cheers,

I had a reunion yesterday with a long-lost half brother who I hadn't seen since he was 4 - he's now 22.

It went really well (apart from my middle girl having a strop!) and I'll definitely see him again - but I did have to think long and hard about it and was VERY nervous!

My feeling is you have to go with your gut feeling - and ask yourself if these two blasts from the past can bring anything positive to your life. If not - then you have your answer, I suppose.

Good luck, babes!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hmm imho, your friend does pose a problem

you both sailed in a ship that sunk and you've found/made yourself a liferaft - she has just got he head back up above water and a liferaft looks mighty appealing. Thing is, does she want you to help her make her own (very worthwhile and honorable thing to do) or does she want to cadge a lift in yours (oops - not such a good idea)

Way I think is - she knows where you live (Xmas card sending) and if its the latter, she'll turn up anyhow probably so is it not best to control the direction of any contact ('hi, welcome to fresh air, lets meet at X, here's the tool kit for building a liferaft, shall we go and find some wood and nails and we can make a start' rather than 'oh, what a surprise, come in and have a cup of green tea, where are you staying now?'

Hope you don't mind my butting in like this but I always like analogies as they can sometimes help put a different focus on matters (if used well - and there's the test of my post - does it make sense)

Bon Chance

Mindless

Thankyou for your very wise thoughts people. Didn't get much sleep thinking about it all.

Niece. I will be contacting her. I am nervous. I was incredibly close to her father (my brother). I cried buckets when he ran away from home (aged 17) and missed him for years.

I tried contacting him on many occassions...kept tracing him...kept sending the letters. Each time they were returned yet I know he saw them. I was the only one who tried to find him. For years I mourned. Felt like I had lost a part of me.

There was a big upset when my mother died (done through a solicitor). He tried to sue me (long story) I won. I received a message from him telling me that he hated me because I belonged to a family that he hated He loathed me for my name, my association with his miserable childhood.

I've heard he is a bitter man, not the fun loving boy I knew. He had such a hold on me. When I was small, I remember telling my Mum that I wanted to marry him when I grew up:eek::eek:

One day I just woke up and realised that I didn't love him any more. The brother that had loved me when others hadn't, had 'died'

I'm good at forgiving. Not so good at forgetting. In his absence he caused so much sorrow. Each time I called for him, he turned me away with such bitterness, yet I had done nothing wrong. In the end I gave up. It was all too painful.

As for the friend. I do a lot of voluntary work. In the past, mainly with drug addicts, homeless, ex-prisoners. This one is a little too close to home. She knows where I live for a start. Still thinking on this.

Mindless. Love your analogy with the raft. I'm a practical person and would definitely do the 'making the raft together' rather than coming in for a green tea;) I wouldn't be able to help myself:eek:

Oh goodness. Really rambling again :eek:

Rambling is good. Better than letting it fester inside. Got no words of wisdom (me hooking up with my half brother didn't go so well :( ) but just wanted to say thinking of ya xx

Hi Karion

Seems like you've got a lot on your mind. Really difficult call for you as both contacts will dredge up a lot of things for you. I guess at the end of the day you can only do what you think/feel is right and be selfish about it, do it for you, if you want the contact, go for it, if not, then say thanks but no thanks. Easier to say than to do I know.

Take care, hope it doesn't spoil your Christmas by dwelling on it too much.

xx

Hi Karion, what a dilemma hon... the friend one (I think) has potential "hazard" written all over it.. but only you know if you are strong enough and can be firm enough with her to communicate / meet again... I often find that gut feelings are the most reliable.. so am not surprised you are struggling on that one. As for your neice... I am glad you decided to contact her.. it will in no way compensate for the loss of your brother (albeit not due to his death but his abandonment etc)... but also, who knows, you may find in her all those attributes you once loved about your brother..

I wish you well in your decision-making and peace of mind with your final choices. ((((hugs)))) xxxx

Back