Olivia Isabel and grandad

Oh Gem what a lovely post - I was brought up with a whole host of animals, and love them.

Mum told me they used the farm dogs for guard duty when I was in the pram :) Not once did any of them try to hurt me or my brother, but were incredibly protective of us :)

My cat used to sit under the pram when the baby was outside in the nice weather. The only time she would sit on the pram was when the cat net went on. For some reason it upset her and she would get onto the pram apron and howl until it was taken off, whereupon she would resume her position under the pram in the shade. I don't know whether she thought the baby was trapped or what.

I was never complacent about the cat's presence and always realised that the baby could possibly be at risk of suffocation, so made sure that I was vigilant at all times - it was never a problem.

My grandkids have shetland ponies in the garden as my daughter is horse mad x

Oh that's so cute about the cat. They can be very gentle with wee ones.

My brother and I used to take lunch down to the men doing the haybaling at the far end of the farm and we rode an old bull - seriously, I do not make this up (he'd been de-sexed, poor thing :)). it was like waiting for a bus - we'd wait (ages 7 and 4) by a fallen over telegraph pole, George would sidle up right next to it, we'd hop on and head off - slowly, he didn't respond well to kicks in the belly like horses do :D

Sounds a bit like the pig that my dad used to talk about. They had to go to school through the woods and my Granch used to slap the pig on the rump and say "Go fetch the kids Willum". The kids used to meet Willum half way through the woods snouting for truffles x

They still use pigs in some places to snout out truffles - poor things, they find the prize then don't get to eat them x

But they do get a treat for each one they find Gem. :)

I'm pleased they do Jim cos it sounds a little unfair otherwise x

It's how they train them Gem, same with the truffle dogs.

Well, you live and learn - at least the dogs would probably give them up easier - truffles are a real pig treat aren't they x

Yes love, and so expensive :eek:

Never tried them - what do they taste like?

Hard to describe really, but it's certainly a marmite thin, you love them or hate them. To me they are slightly earthy, with a strong meaty & mushroom taste.

I had pasta with truffle oil once, it was lovely - but as Jim says, a very earthy, full bodied smell. We had to eat it with our napkins over our heads (like having a eucalyptus head bath!) - lots of giggling! :) If you like smelly cheese, I think you would like truffles.

Sounds like the smell might put me off. I like cheese and I love mushrooms but I'm not sure about truffles - maybe I will try them one day x

jim she has grown up so much!! she's a real character. And she has grown into her personality so well, at least as far as I can tell :) she is so pretty :D

abz xx

She is indeed lovely Abz. I've been having another peek at your Izzy pictures and that is another lovely little girl x

jim she has grown up so much!! she's a real character. And she has grown into her personality so well, at least as far as I can tell :) she is so pretty :D

abz xx

Thanks abz, we need more of little izzy love. :)

Here we go

photo0020.jpg

photo0019.jpg

photo0018.jpg

photo0017.jpg

photo0015.jpg

photo0014.jpg

photo0021.jpg

Back